1936 Villach/Kärnten - 2010 Wien
- 2/5 E.A. (Künstlerexemplar)
- 21,25 in
After training as a goldsmith Bruno Gironcoli studied painting under Eduard Bäumer at the University of Applied Arts Vienna. While on a study year in Paris in 1960-61, the young artist came into contact with Alberto Giacometti’s sculptures. After returning to Vienna, Gironcoli resumed his studies, this time in Eugen Meier’s metalworking class. In the 1970s, the artist became interested in sculpture installations made from everyday objects, which he compacted to create individual sculptures. Typical of these assembled works are shiny silver or golden surfaces (an ironic nod to his apprenticeship as a goldsmith) and oft-repeated motifs such as embryos, ears of corn, and grapes. Bruno Gironcoli has been honored with various awards (including the Grand Austrian State Prize, the Austrian Decoration for Science and Art, and the Prize of the City of Vienna for Visual Art) and was the director of sculpture at the Academy of Fine Arts Vienna from 1977 until 2004, a role he took over from Fritz Wotruba.
The sculpture will be illustrated in the new catalog of works “Bruno Gironcoli. Addendeum. Die Skulpturen 1956-2010” by Bettina M. Busse.