- Austria, around 1700
- carved, polychrome painted and gilt wood
- 63×21¼×8½ in
This magnificent early Baroque house altar consists of a mensa zone with IHS monogram and a aedicula-shaped retable with a top. The retable is articulated by a pair of twisted and a pair of marbleized columns. In the central niche there is a sculpture of St. James. On the left there is St. Joseph with the Christ Child and St. John the Evangelist, on the right probably St. Leonard or St. Anthony and St. John Nepomuk. On the entablature there is St. Michael the Archangel on the left and probably St. Jodocus on the right. Two standing angels point to the top scene of the Trinity. Two winged putti sit on the canopy above. An IHS monogram in a gilded halo serves as the finial. The polychrome-painted and gilded house altar with its extraordinarily rich program of figures is a wonderful piece of early Baroque wood carving from around 1700.