Vienna, first half of the 19th century
- polished mahogany veneer, maple stripe inlay
- Graham escapement, duration of one week
- 34 ½ in
This small wall clock is a so-called Laterndluhr – a special Viennese type of clocks of the first half of the 19th century from the time of the highlight of Austrian clockmaking. The elegant case with mahogany veneer and maple stripe inlay houses a week duration movement with graham escapement. The enamel dial is framed by an engine turned and fire gilt bezel.
The clock type of the so called “Laterndluhr” was created around 1800 as an independent creation in Vienna and experienced its heyday from about 1800 to the mid-19th century. At that time, clockmaking in Austria could be regarded as a leader in Europe.
Archduchess Maria Theresia promoted the industry in general, especially in Vienna. An important impetus for the clockmakers industry was provided by the Geneva clockmakers colony, which was founded in Vienna in 1780 by Emperor Joseph II. With the Piarist monastery he gave them their own building for housing the workers and set up the workshop at government expense. In addition to other donations, including financial ones, they also received numerous privileges. Due to the division of work-sharing and economically used technology, the Geneva clockmaking colony influenced the local craft. As a result, high-quality movements with good accuracy were made. In cooperation with the best cabinetmakers, bronze workers or chasers, this wall clocks were created in a technically and optically excellent execution.