- "C. L. Hoffmeister pinx. Wien 1828"
- gilt bull`s eye frame
- verge escapement, Viennese grande sonnerie on wire gongs, repeater, musical movement with two tunes by "A. Olbrich in Wien" with automatic release on the hour
- oil on metal
- 30¼×40½ in
The magnificent and historically extremely exciting Dresden veduta of this Viennese picture clock was created by the most important picture clock painter: C. L. Hof(f)meister. The dial is integrated into the dome of the Frauenkirche Church, in front of which is the Brühl Gallery (today Academy of Fine Arts). To the right is the former Brühl Garden Pavilion, which was used as a studio by the famous Dresden sculptor Ernst Rietschel in the first half of the 19th century. After the demolition of the pavilion in 1861, the Rietschel monument was erected on this site in 1875. In the center of the composition is the elegant cathedral, behind it the Hausmann Tower of Dresden Castle. Behind the Augustus Bridge in the distance can be seen the Calberla sugar refinery, which was converted into the Old Hotel Bellevue in 1852. This picture clock painting from 1828 is inspired by one of the wonderful Canaletto views (c. 1750, National Gallery of Ireland). The term “gegen Mitternacht” („toward midnight“) is an outdated expression for „toward the north.“ Although the view is to the west, the title refers to the viewer’s vantage point on the north bank of the Elbe River – so the city is depicted against the north bank.
The movement of this wonderful timepiece with verge escapement and Viennese grande sonnerie is additionally equipped with a muscial movement with two tunes of the famous Viennese manufactory Olbrich.